Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Stand by Sly and the Family Stone
or"I Am A Liberal"


What’s wrong with being a liberal? When did we decide that the response to being called liberal was to duck our heads and to murmur, "No, no not me”?


I don’t get it. I don’t get it at all. I Am a liberal. Did you hear me? I live in the liberal Bay Area (Berkeley no less). I grew up in the 60’s. I drive a hybrid. Sometimes…I even drink French wine!

Did you hear me?

I am not ducking my head. I am not denying being a liberal. Why should I? Because a portly, pasty man named Dick Cheney who happens to be vice president loudly rails against liberals; accuses us of subverting our country when what he means is subverting what he wants done to the country.

I won’t defend my liberalism Mr. Vice President. I won’t explain it to you either. I will simply look you in the eye and tell you what I think. Like it or don’t. Up to you. But try to keep your anger in check, okay. Remember that I have the same “unalienable rights” (you are okay with Thomas Jefferson aren’t you Mister Vice President?) you have. Remember that those “unalienable rights” (that means they’re not yours to take away) are spoken of in a document drawn up by a group of people who believed that attempts to silence those who disagree with us are not only un American, they are anti American. Don’t impugn my patriotism because I don’t agree with you, think about the Declaration of Independence instead. You say I have to think more the way you do? Think again, Dick.

I Am a liberal. Did you hear me?

If I don’t agree with the administration I will say so and by the way, if I do agree with the administration I will say so too. (When have I agreed with Dick Cheney? I knew you’d ask. I agree with him that the relationship between him and his daughter is personal. I agree that the personal relationship between 2 people is private and should not be politicized unless they choose to politicize it. Of course where the Vice President and I part ways is that I believe this applies to the personal relationships of all Americans, not just the personal relationship between him and his daughter).

Why shouldn’t I speak up when I disagree with the administration? Because a pasty, portly, powerful man named Karl Rove who twists arms and minds wants me to quietly go away? Because he is tired of listening to liberals, because he thinks liberals are too loud but have no spine? By all means Mr. Rove continue thinking that way, continue equating liberals with John Kerry. In the meantime Nancy Pelosi just ripped the gavel out of your pasty, manicured hand. Oh, and I wouldn’t push that spineless liberal too hard. She pushes back. Hard.

Yes Karl, you’re good at twisting words, at choosing the catchy phrases that people will respond to, that will make them believe you think like they do. You want me to think like you do? Well, how’s this for a catchy phrase? Think again, Karl.

I Am a liberal. Did you hear me?

I don’t blindly fall into line and sing, “Hail to the Chief” every time pasty, portly Rush Limbaugh says to. Why should I? Quick question Rush, do you think that if Donovan McNabb were you, do you think if any African American man were you, that man would still have the job you have, the power you have after having the issues you’ve had? You do? You’re trippin’, dude. You really should get out in the real world more, give yourself the opportunity to think again, Rush.

I Am a liberal. Did you hear me?

I don’t get it Mr. Cheney, I don’t get it Mr. Rove, I don’t get it Mr. Limbaugh. You think I’m not as American as you, that I don’t love my country as much as you do? You think that just because you walk around with an American flag pinned over your portly breast you are “Of the people, by the people and for the people”?

Think again Dick. Think again Karl. Think again Rush.

And think about the fact that I’m not ducking anymore. I Am a liberal. If you haven’t heard me, you will. Again and again. Loud and Clear.